Double degree with Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
The double Master degree is a two-year programme (120 ECTS) at Master’s level, leading to two degree certificates, one from each institution:
- Master of Science in Computational Science (Università della Svizzera italiana, USI)
- Master of Science in Computational Engineering (Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, FAU)
- To be admitted at FAU, students must have completed one semester of study at USI and obtained at least 20 ECTS
- To be admitted at USI, students must have completed one semester of study at FAU and obtained at least 20 ECTS
Students are required to provide proof of academic achievement (20 ECTS) at the end of the first semester (not at the time of the application deadline).
The language of instruction is English.
- The required English level at FAU is B2 of the CEFR or an equivalent score in another internationally recognised test
- The required English level at USI is C1 of the CEFR or an equivalent score in another internationally recognised test. Students who are able to provide B2-level certificate with their application but who have not yet received a C1-level certificate by the end of the calendar year may be admitted on condition that they obtain the C1 level by the end of September of the next calendar year.
Application and selection
Students who want to take part in the Double Degree Programme (DDP) must apply either to FAU or to USI - Master in Computational Science - through the normal application process and note clear in the application that they are applying for the Double Degree Programme.
- Admission to the overlying MSc program according to the rules set by each of the individual Master programmes
- Fulfilment of the aforementioned admission requirements for each of the programmes
- Interview by at least two members of the Commission, of which at least one member will be a representative from each institution.
Candidates who do not pass the DDP selection may continue their studies at the home institution in the underlying MSc programmes as regular students.
For every student in the DDP an individual student agreement stating all subjects to be completed both at FAU and USI must also be agreed upon.
For both USI students and FAU students in the DDP, they will complete the first semester at the home institution. The second, the third or the fourth semester can be completed at the host university.
- To receive the MSc degree from FAU, DDP students are required to complete 120 ECTS. This includes completing e.g. 90 ECTS at FAU and at least the equivalent of 30 ECTS at USI.
- To receive the MSc degree from USI, DDP students are required to complete 120 ECDTS. This includes completing e.g. 90 ECTS at USI and at least the equivalent of 30 ECTS at FAU.
Upon fulfilment of all relevant requirements at both institutions, FAU and USI will issue separate certificates according to their respective regulations. Both certificates clearly state that one degree has been awarded in a double degree procedure and that therefore both certificates are only valid in combination.