COVID-19 (Coronavirus): current situation
Institutional Communication Service
LAST UPDATE, 4 April, 11 am
Three are the principles that guide USI in its decisions:
- Protect the safety of our academic community.
- Ensuring the academic offer even in such difficult and uncertain environment
- Adhere to the decisions of the competent public authorities
Frequently asked questions from students:
- Can I access the campuses?
Following the decisions of the authorities, students are not allowed on campus. However, in case of documented necessity (e.g. to fetch a study book left in a locker) students can access the campuses by appointment only and for a limited time. Requests should be submitted to the respective Dean's office (see contact details below).
- How will the semester continue after 19 April?
USI makes its decision on Monday 6 April and announces it shortly after.
- Will exams take place during the summer term? How?
Yes, exams will be in session, with possible exceptions. USI is still cautiously optimistic about the possibility of carrying out the exams on campus, but is still preparing a detailed plan B in case the campuses are still not accessible. Details will be available on 30 April.
- If I am unable to complete my curricular internship, will I be stuck?
No, refer to the Career Service website for more information on the matter: https://www.usi.ch/en/university/info/career/students-and-graduates/internship
On 3 April the Ticino State Council announced that the restrictive measures to protect the population have been prolonged at least until 13 April (see here).
Conduct guidelines according to the authorities: Stay at home, especially if you are elderly or ill. Only go out if you have to go to work and cannot work from home, to go to the doctor or pharmacy, or run essential shopping errands or help someone.
The Federal Council has declared an "extraordinary situation". Therefore, at least until 19 April:
- LESSONS: they will continue through eLearning. In-classroom courses and exams will not resume before 20 April. The University will ensure fair treatment of all students, so that they are adequately prepared to take the exams at the end of the semester.
- EVENTS: Any public event is prohibited. It is forbidden to gather in groups of more than 5 people. Within smaller groups, social distances of at least two meters must be observed.
- WORK AND RESEARCH: #USI SERVICES. Open, but in a different way. The services are active in remote and with scheduled shifts, by appointment only. Contacts available here.
- Access to campus buildings for USI staff and Faculty is by badge only and only for brief emergencies in respect of the stricter health safety measure and keeping social distance.
- Following the decisions of the authorities, students are not allowed on campus. However, in case of documented necessity (e.g. to fetch a study book left in a locker) students can access the campuses by appointment only and for a limited time. Requests should be submitted to the respective Dean's office (see contact details below).
- According to Dpcm 11 March 2020 of the Italian Government and to the border control measures adopted on 13 March by the Swiss Government: access to the Lugano and Mendrisio campuses is restricted until a date to be determined to all students, academic staff and administrative assistants residing in Italy. Access to Swiss borders for professional reasons is no longer guaranteed. The only exception are employees (of USI and its affiliated Institutes) who participate in the activities essential for the social-healthcare sector such as chemical-pharmaceutical and medical.
Symptoms, contact, people at risk
Please refer to all the provisions shared by the cantonal MD and the Federal Office of Public Health. For updates on the matter refer to
- Cantonal doctor's office: www.ti.ch/coronavirus
- Federal Office of Public Health: https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/it/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov.html
This is how we protect ourselves
- Soap on campuses have been replaced with a sanitizing product and sanitizing hand gel has been distributed. Every morning, the cleaning companies sanitize common areas and offices with specific products.
- We can all make a difference: all health-safety measures to be adopted according to the Federal Office of Health can be found at the following link: https://ufsp-coronavirus.ch/
- Courses and eLearning: from 12 March to 20 April 2020 in-classroom lessons and exams have been suspended. The courses continue in eLearning, mostly through the iCorsi platform, which we invite you to check constantly for any updates on the teaching activity.
- Course coordinators who need to use their offices have access to the campuses for brief emergencies only.
The eLab provides support in person by appointment only, and only for reasons that cannot be solved on remote. (www.usi.ch/en/feeds/13081).
- Where appropriate, the Faculty members are authorised (in temporary derogation from the regulations in force) to organise the thesis discussion by videoconference.
- For questions, please contact the Dean's office directly, by email and telephone (see contacts below).
Work and Research
All the activities that can be carried out at home in remote mode are allowed.
Opening: USI #Services. Open, but in a different way
The Services of the University and Institutes remain operational in remote and with brief scheduled shifts for some of the Services. The shifts will be planned with the respective coordinators (Logistics and Surveillance, Human Resources and Controlling, eLab, IT Services, Institutional Communication).
- Employees are therefore invited to hold meetings and interviews by videoconference and telephone.
The University Library of Lugano and that of Mendrisio will remain closed to the public, online services are guaranteed.
Food services on campus
The Lugano campus Mensa and the Osteria Vignetta on Mendrisio campus are closed until further notice.
The Lugano campus copy center is closed to the public. Those in charge will continue to guarantee printer services on Lugano campus and will answer to their number for any technical issue (058 666 4586). For printing requests, such as student theses, please write to email@example.com (terms for delivery at home will be defined with the service provider).
- There is a risk of new coronavirus outbreaks in almost every region of the world. USI does not authorise its employees to travel for work purposes and suggests to comply with federal authorities recommendations
- Study trips are prohibited
Sports activities and events of any kind and category are prohibited (individual sports activities are permitted). The activities of USI Sport Service are therefore suspended, but will still continue on the USI YouTube channel in the playlist Pillole di sport.
Faculty Dean's offices
Dean's offices will remain operative in remote: