COVID-19 (Coronavirus): current situation
Institutional Communication Service
LAST UPDATE, 9 June, 4pm
- As of 6 June, the Federal Council is relaxing further measures (link).
- The campuses have already partially reopened for employees and academic staff who need access to the offices. On 25 May, the Rectorate issued specific protection provisions (link) on how to carry out this phase, which include the required rules of conduct and the responsibilities for the various measures in place.
- Until further notice, students are allowed on campus only in case of proven necessity (for example to fetch a study text left in a locker), and by appointment. Requests should be submitted to the respective Dean's office, see contact details below. Access regulations will be relaxed in the near future to prepare to welcome back on campus some of the lectures, and for the re-opening of the libraries and study rooms. At the moment, such premises are still closed to students.
- It is recommended that all activities continue as far as possible in remote.
- Information on how the next fall semester will be carried out will be given by 16 June.
Overview of USI's main decisions regarding university life:
- Distance learning will continue until the end of the semester
- Master's and PhD thesis discussions and dissertations are held online
- The next exam session will be held online
- The Dies academicus took place online on Saturday, 9 May
- Graduation ceremonies are held online
- The offer of scholarships has been enhanced to support young tudents in need through the establishment of the Solidarity Scholarships Fund 2020
The Federal Council still considers the current situation as extraordinary. Conduct guidelines according to the authorities: continue to adhere to the rules of hygiene and behaviour in order to prevent the new coronavirus from spreading more rapidly.
- LESSONS: they will continue through eLearning until the end of the semester. The University will ensure fair treatment of all students, so that they are adequately prepared to take the exams at the end of the semester.
- EVENTS: The Federal Council estimates that from 6 June onwards, it will be possible to hold events with up to 300 people. Such events must guarantee safety and respect a protection plan. USI, however, has decided at this stage to give priority to prepare to welcome back on campus lectures and therefore continues not to host public events.
- WORK AND RESEARCH: #USI SERVICES. Open, but in a different way. The services staff are partially allowed back on the premises. Employees are invited to continue to hold meetings and interviews by videoconference and telephone.
Services and contacts: www.usi.ch/en/feeds/13081
Teleworking IT tool: www.desk.usi.ch/it/strumenti-telelavoro
Symptoms, contact, people at risk
Please refer to all the provisions shared by the cantonal MD and the Federal Office of Public Health. For updates on the matter refer to:
- Cantonal doctor's office: www.ti.ch/coronavirus
- Federal Office of Public Health: https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/it/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov.html
This is how we protect ourselves
- Soap on campuses have been replaced with a sanitizing product and sanitizing hand gel has been distributed. Every morning, the cleaning companies sanitize common areas and offices with specific products.
- We can all make a difference: all health-safety measures to be adopted according to the Federal Office of Health can be found at the following link: https://ufsp-coronavirus.ch/
- Courses and eLearning: from 12 March until the end of the semester in-classroom lessons have been suspended. The courses continue in eLearning, mostly through the iCorsi platform, which we invite you to check constantly for any updates on the teaching activity.
The eLab provides support in person by appointment only, and only for reasons that cannot be solved on remote. (www.usi.ch/en/feeds/13081).
- Where appropriate, the Faculty members are authorised (in temporary derogation from the regulations in force) to organise the thesis discussion by videoconference.
- Curricular internship under current circumstances: https://www.usi.ch/en/node/9917/stage%EF%BB%BF
- For questions, please contact the Dean's office directly, by email and telephone (see contacts below).
From Monday June 8, the University Library Lugano will reopen partially (Mon-Fri, 9 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.), providing around forty study stations. Please follow scrupulously the increased hygiene standards. Further information: http://en.bul.sbu.usi.ch/information/notices
From June 15 the Academy of architecture Library, Mendrisio, is accessible during the opening hours (Mo-Fri 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) for book loans and documents ordered from the catalogue (http://biblio.arc.usi.ch/). It will be possible to consult documents on site, prior online seat reservation. Further information: http://biblio.arc.usi.ch/en/coronavirus
Some publishers are temporarily opening access to sections of their online publications. USI Libraries provide a constantly updated list of accessible resources for our community.
Food services on campus
From June 15 the Lugano campus Mensa is open (8.30 a.m- 4.30 p.m). Further information about opening hours and menu: https://www.desk.usi.ch/en/menu-mensa-cafeteria-lugano-campus. Also the Osteria Vignetta on Mendrisio campus has reopened.
The Lugano campus copy center is closed to the public. Those in charge will continue to guarantee printer services on Lugano campus and will answer to their number for any technical issue (058 666 4586). For printing requests, such as student theses, please write to email@example.com (terms for delivery at home will be defined with the service provider).
- There is a risk of new coronavirus outbreaks in almost every region of the world. USI does not authorise its employees to travel for work purposes and suggests to comply with federal authorities recommendations
- Study trips are prohibited
- From 6 June all sports activities are allowed, except competitions with close physical contact. The activities of USI Sport Service are suspended, but will still continue on the USI YouTube channel in the playlist Pillole di sport.
Faculty Dean's offices
Dean's offices remain open in remote: