COVID-19, campus protection provisions and the spring semester
Institutional Communication Service
The COVID-19 situation remains uncertain and changing. USI is constantly following and adapting to the recommendations and indications of the federal and cantonal authorities and the coordinating body of the Swiss universities, swissuniversities. This page gives up to date information on the current campus regulations and the course of the semesters.
As of Monday, 31 May, a new and important phase of reopening is generally triggered. Though some provisions have been lifted by the Federal Council on 26 May, it does not substantially change the modalities already foreseen at USI
- education: until the end of the semester, the modalities adopted from 26 April remain in force. The list of courses in presence therefore remains as already published (BACHELOR: https://www.desk.usi.ch/it/orario-dei-corsi-bachelor; MASTER: https://www.desk.usi.ch/it/orari-dei-corsi-master);
- events: for events in attendance, the number of spectators allowed increases from 50 to 100 people indoors and from 100 to 300 outdoors. The maximum capacity of venues is no longer limited to one third, as was previously the case, but to half. The obligation to allocate seats to individual participants is dropped, but the obligation to wear a mask and maintain the mandatory distance remains;
- telecommuting: it remains compulsory, since USI does not have a company test plan as per the Federal Ordinance.
- LUGANO CAFETERIA The West Campus cafeteria in Lugano will remain open until Friday, 4 June. In the second half of August both the West and East Campus cafeterias will reopen. USI has arranged some alternative spaces for meals. In particular, it will be possible to find a place to eat lunch in the basement of the main building in the following classrooms:
- classroom 150 for academic and administrative staff
- classrooms 120 and 121 for students
- STUDY SPACES
The following classrooms will be available on Lugano campus for individual or small group study:
Lugano, West Campus, study areas and classrooms (only provided there are no classes in progress):- for group work: 121, 128, 130;
- for silent individual study: 156, 157, 159, 250, 251;
- for silent individual study (with defined times and days): 355 (on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings) and A33, A34 (Mon-Fri; 8 am - 6 pm);
- for lunch: 120;
Lugano, East Campus, silent individual study room: D0.04.
COVID-19 PROTECTION PROVISIONS
Special provisions are in force at the Lugano and Mendrisio campuses to prevent and continue to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus. The Provisions regulate the use of the spaces for a number of different situations, including ordinary activities, meetings, and events.
USI on the one hand, values in presence learning and university life, on the other hand, it has indeed been successful at organising online courses, taking advantage of opportunities and ensuring a flexible and continuous learning experience.