High-level Services for Networks-on-Chip
Staff - Faculty of Informatics
You are cordially invited to attend the PhD Dissertation Defense of Leandro FIORIN on Friday, September 21st 2012 at 11h00 in room A24 (Red building)
Future technology trends envision that next-generation Multiprocessors Systems-on-Chip (MPSoCs) will be composed of a combination of a large number of processing and storage elements interconnected by complex communication architectures.
Communication and interconnection between these basic blocks play a role of crucial importance when the number of these elements increases.
Enabling reliable communication channels between cores becomes therefore a challenge for system designers.
Networks-on-Chip (NoCs) appeared as a strategy for connecting and managing the communication between several design elements and IP blocks, as required in complex Systems-on-Chip (SoCs).
The topic can be considered as a multidisciplinary synthesis of multiprocessing, parallel computing, networking, and on-chip communication domains.
Networks-on-Chip, in addition to standard communication services, can be employed for providing support for the implementation of system-level services.
This dissertation will demonstrate how high-level services can be added to an MPSoC platform by embedding appropriate hardware/software support in the network interfaces (NIs) of the NoC.
In this dissertation, the implementation of innovative modules acting in parallel with protocol translation and data transmission in NIs is proposed and evaluated.
The modules can support the execution of the high-level services in the NoC at a relatively low cost in terms of area and energy consumption.
Three types of services will be addressed and discussed: security, monitoring, and fault tolerance.
- Prof. Mariagiovanna Sami, Università della Svizzera italiana/Politecnico di Milano, Switzerland/Italy (Research Advisor)
- Prof. Cristina Silvano, Politecnico di Milano, Italy (Research co-advisor)
- Prof. Matthias Hauswirth, Università della Svizzera italiana, Switzerland (Internal Member)
- Prof. Laura Pozzi, Università della Svizzera italiana, Switzerland (Internal Member)
- Prof. Kees Goossens, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands (External Member)
- Prof. Rainer Leupers, RWTH Aachen University, Germany (External Member)