Staff - Faculty of Informatics
USI Lugano Campus, room SI-008, Informatics building (Via G. Buffi 13)
You are cordially invited to attend the PhD Dissertation Defense of Masiar BABAZADEH on Wednesday, October 25th 2017 at 15h30 in room SI-008 (Informatics building)
Despite these recent advances, building stream processing applications on the Web of Things remains a challenging task. On the one hand, Web-enabled devices of different nature still have to communicate with different protocols. On the other hand, dealing with a dynamic, heterogeneous, and volatile environment like the Web requires developers to face issues like disconnections, unpredictable workload fluctuations, and device overload.
Like a liquid adapts its shape to the one of its container, the Web Liquid Streams framework makes streaming topologies flow across multiple heterogeneous devices, enabling dynamic operator migration without disrupting the data flow. By constantly monitoring the execution of the topology with a hierarchical controller infrastructure, WLS takes care of parallelising the operator execution across multiple devices in case of bottlenecks and of recovering the execution of the streaming topology in case one or more devices disconnect, by restarting lost operators on other available devices.
- Prof. Cesare Pautasso, Università della Svizzera italiana, Switzerland (Research Advisor)
- Prof. Marc Langheinrich, Università della Svizzera italiana, Switzerland (Internal Member)
- Prof. Robert Soulé, Università della Svizzera italiana, Switzerland (Internal Member)
- Prof. Gustavo Alonso, ETH Zurich, Switzerland (External Member)
- Prof. Tommi Mikkonen, University of Helsinki, Finland (External Member)